Is This Thing On?

My last post here was in 2015. Returning to this page, I was a little surprised to discover that it was even still online, or that blogs were even still a thing. Perhaps they aren't really anymore? I have no idea. It's pretty interesting to see how many of the links on this page are now dead. The world has moved on.

When last we met, I was in the late stages of learning that Nonplayer #2 was not going to provide the magic leverage to turn comics into a full time day job. Given the unsustainability of my schedule back then (drawing the comic in the wee hours of the morning while having a day job and raising a kid), it really was a hail Mary situation -- I'm not even really sure what form I thought the deus ex machina would take. Maybe Nonplayer would get turned into a movie? Maybe I could pivot to Patreon? In the end, I had to stop out of sheer exhaustion. 

I didn't give up. I started a spread for Nonplayer 3, and then stalled out. Here it is:


I pivoted to writing, and got the scripts nailed down for the rest of the (now 9 issue) run. Then for a few months, I fell in love with the idea of making a Korean-style webtoon and drawing one frame a day. I worked on that in secret, but got stuck again before I had enough to release. Maybe I'll post all my progress from that effort in a separate thread.

At any rate, my career in games got pretty exciting -  I got a chance to work on a franchise that I loved, and I poured everything I had into that part of my life for many years. That's still going on, but a few things have changed lately that have got me thinking about comics again. First, my kid is ten years old, and he's independent enough that he's got his own friends and activities, leaving me (in theory) with a lot more time on my own. And second, I spend a lot of free time farting around on my phone, doing stuff that doesn't really bring me much joy. 

With that in mind, I dug up my old Nonplayer scripts last week and was surprised to discover that I was still very excited about completing that story. I never even really got to the good part! 

Which begs the question: how are comics made in 2023? The first issue of Nonplayer was created in Photoshop, and a lot of this blog was devoted to figuring out how to efficiently color rasterized comics pages. In the pursuit of further efficiency gains, I created the second issue in IllustStudio, which in some ways deadened my linework but definitely sped up the coloring process. That tool evolved, over several iterations, into Manga Studio and then Clip Studio Paint. Is that where it's at these days? Anybody have alternate tool suggestions?

Similarly, if I were going to get back to chronicling my comics journey again, should I be doing that here on blogspot or is there some other platform where artists hang out? I am old now, and I entreat you kids (if any of you even still read blogs) to help me shed all the layers of dust and lameness with which I am now encrusted. 

Anyway, hello again. Here's hoping this is the start of an interesting new chapter.

Comments

  1. Somehow I still have this in my RSS feed. I'm not an artist but if you publish another Nonplayer please post here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice surprise to find in my RSS reader! Keep it going, young viking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As another RSS subscriber, I will mention that yours is not the only blog that people have unearthed this year. There is a minor amount of chatter about how with the increasing distrust of the stability and efficacy of larger social media networks, some people are returning to their own blogs and websites to publish and hype themselves.

    Also people are investing in newsletters, but to me that's just a new wrinkle in the same social network way of trying to get a service to push your information out instead of having people come to you. It's just the notifications are in one's inbox instead of a badge on an app.

    Newsletters, incidentally, are one way in which people hoped they might be able to publish comics in 2022. By 2023 a lot of that hope seems to have quietly ebbed away, leaving the loud claims of the salvation of comics unchallenged but also unfulfilled. But maybe that's not what you meant by "making comics"...

    Nice to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another RSS subscriber very happy to see you back online! Great to hear that things are well, and that you're thinking about more Nonplayer content! Looking forward to seeing future updates here! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also an old RSS subscriber happy to see a new post from an old subscription!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every few months I sort through my comics, dust off the covers, pull out some favourites and inevitably come across Nonplayer 1 & 2 and look up if there’s been any updates. Exciting to see such a recent post this time. I’d say Twitter is probably the space (I guess it’s called X now though?) to connect with fans. But the blog is nice for a long form for people like me who will search for nonplayer content.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I entered here by mystake and I was gladly surprised with a new post hahaha. I've had a piece of paper for over 10 years (or so) from the time you had the accident with your bicycle. The piece of paper says ''The only way to fail, is to stop'' a quote you gifted me without knowing. I've had that same piece of paper in my wallet since I read that post so many years ago and it's been my mantra, Nate. I'm glad you kept going as I did. Keep it on, man!
    On tools, I tend to use procreate on iPad Pro for my comics, but if you want to work bigger from home, Clip Studio it's a great tool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I moved recently, and while unpacking my boxes of books I came across my issues of Non-Player, which reminded me to check in. It was a super pleasant surprise to see you post again! Whatever format you decide to push forward with, I'm excited to be along for the ride. If you move to another platform for updates, please make a post to let us know where to go! If you make a Patreon, you'll have my subscription :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel sort of like a stalker on here. Just like the commenter above. I found your comic and loved them. I even bought a couple of signed copies off Ebay years ago. Then I found out from the guys at Comic Dungeon (rest in peace) that you lived in Seattle and frequented the same comic shop. I have checked on this blog and your website every few years as I look through my collection and holy hell...you posted something. Yay! That is so cool. I'd be happy to be a Patreon for you if you decide to move forward. I really want to see the next 7 issues.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paint by Numbers

Chasing Windmills